Trips Back Home
School breaks usually mean a mass exodus takes place from college campuses.
Have you planned ahead? Here is a short list of important things to consider:
- Discuss your expectations with your parents prior to your arrival. Hear their own expectations. Often, parents are hurt when students return and visit with friends, but don’t find time for family.
- Deciding when, where, and with whom you’ll gather can be very helpful to all involved.
- Don’t forget siblings in your plans. Along with parents, they can feel left out.
- Be respectful of the fact that things may have changed since you left. Many parents are experiencing financial, relational and career problems. If you see evidence of these things, you may want to discuss the issues before you leave.
- Maybe you don’t plan to return home. If that’s the case, parents should be notified well in advance.
Whatever you decided to do for break, planning ahead helps to alleviate misunderstandings and hurt feelings.
If you found this blog interesting or helpful, re-tweets and sharing are appreciated!