January is National Mentoring Month!
We at StudentMentor.org know the value of mentors.
This month, it’s time to honor those selfless professionals who have provided countless hours of their time mentoring. Students and grads, who have taken advantage of our free service, directly benefit from years of experience mentors bring to their mentoring relationships.
Mentors provide guidance, support and industry knowledge to mentees. Often, mentors introduce mentees to their professional contacts, allowing worthwhile networking to take place, building a bridge to the future. Additionally, mentors boost the self-esteem of mentees by believing in what they can accomplish. The many words of encouragement a mentor speaks are remembered and cherished for a lifetime.
Honor the mentors in your life today! Here are a few suggestions:
- 1. Become a mentor in your community.
- 2. Learn more about mentoring.
- 3. Partner with other mentoring organizations.
- 4. Tell friends and classmates about National Mentoring Month.
- 5. Acknowledge the mentors in your life by calling them, sending an email or a card of thanks.
- 6. Read the latest research and find resources on mentoring.
- 7. Serve your community on MLK Day of Service by deciding to become a mentor.
- 8. Make a donation to a mentoring organization in your community. Any amount is welcome.
- 9. Go to YouTube on Thank Your Mentor Day (January 26) and make the National Mentoring Month videos the most popular of the day.
- 10.Explore ways to help others succeed academically through mentoring. Did you know academically struggling students do better when they have friends and classmates support them?
The best gifts a mentee can give a mentor are their appreciation–and the promise to pass on the gift they’ve been given by becoming a mentor.