Training and Retraining

Posted by Judy Anne Cavey on Jan 3, 2011 in , , | No Comments

There are a few ways to pay for training and retaining, you have to know where to look.

1.) Financial Aid-if you enroll in an accredited degree college program, you may apply for aid. See the college’s financial aid personnel to determine what is available to you, then fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. This student aid provides loans up to $12,500 a year for under grads, $20,500 a year for graduate programs. Some colleges are offering free or discounted tuition to the unemployed. If you don’t possess a bachelors degree, you may get a grant. Quick training programs you see on T.V. that don’t lead to degrees don’t qualify for the above mentioned program. Caution: beware of scams aimed at students seeking financial aid. Don’t pay for a list of “guaranteed scholarships”, those are not legitimate.

2.) Apply for Government Funds-Explore all retraining possibilities. If you lost a job to overseas outsourcing or foreign competition, you may be eligible to receive extra training and unemployment insurance. If your basic skills are in need of assistance and you are enrolled in a program training you to obtain higher skills, you may get extra financial assistance.

3.) Free Programs-If you just need to enhance your skills, check out your local One Stop Career Centers and community organizations offering these programs. Or see Carnegie Mellon University, which offers free online self-study courses. Your local library has a wealth of business books to sharpen rusty skills.  While these options aren’t as impressive to employers, (compared to certificates or degrees), they are a great free option.

It takes a little work on your part to find the right fit in a program, but there are many available that will assist you in your effort to be employed.