Overthinking Your Life?
Smart people often make everything harder than it needs to be.
Are you “overthinking” your life?
Life Coach Gail Blanke, discussed why we overthink and how to combat that habit in Real Simple magazines article Its Easier Than You Think. First, Blanke emphasizes that sometimes simple thinking can be an advantage in a complicated world. Second, instead of looking at all the negative possibilities, focus on the positive possibilities.
Blanke asked herself at one point in her life, How hard, how complicated, how overwhelmingly difficult, can I make this? Its a trap and its easy to fall into. So, why do we make things harder on ourselves? Blanke believes, I think its because the more we learn, the more educated we become, and the more analysis we engage in, the more we set the stage for all the possible pitfalls to present their ugly selves in living color. The next thing you know, you are drowning in negative thoughts.
Listed in Blankes article is a to dont list of five habits to quit to make everything easy
1. Dont overanalyze or overcomplicate situations; commit to taking the easy way. Take the shortest distance between two pointsa simple line. [This doesn't mean being a slacker, more so, it has to do with simplifying things.]
2. Dont insist on perfection. [Perfectionism can drive you and all those around you crazy! Striving for it will exhaust you].
3. Dont be consumed by negative possibilities. [The "what ifs" may never happen, so don't go there]. Instead assume a positive outcome.
4. Dont do it alone. No matter the project, get as many people involved as possible. Martyrs are boring [...and go to an early grave].
5. Dont become angry or upset when things dont go according to plan. Laugh, if you can, and roll with it. [Life doesn't always turn out the way we want, be flexible. Look for the good, the humorous, the heartwarming aspects of the moment].
*Comments in parenthesis mine
See Blankes Motivator columns at www.realsimple.com/motivator
If you found this blog interesting or helpful, re-tweets and sharing is appreciated!