Want free career or academic advice
from a professional?

Have an Answer?

1 Answer


Nickolas Kapaun

I studied chemical engineering in college and finished my degree in four years as a full time student. I went to a public university in the midwest that is relatively well known for its engineering programs. I did transfer in with some community college credit, but not enough to finish my degree any faster than normal. Even without this credit, I would have finished in four years.

I can't speak exactly to the differences between a state college and a university (I assume that's what you mean by UC?) I don't think you would be able to get a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering at a community college, though you could certainly take most of the general classes there and save a lot of money. Above all, make sure that whatever ChEn program you go into, that it is accredited by ABET. ABET is the main governing body for accreditation of post secondary technical programs and the only accreditation that matters to employers (i.e. they're the ones that say that the school's degrees are worth something). They list all the accredited engineering programs on their website (abet.org). Aside from that, you can research rankings, though I've heard that school rankings are less important for job placement in engineering than in other fields such as business or law.

Answered 8 years ago

Nickolas Kapaun