Want free career or academic advice
from a professional?

Have an Answer?

1 Answer


Andy Davis

There are so many careers that work with children and lot of them depend on the amount of time that you want to spend in school.

With just a high school degree and certification you can easily become a Child Care assistant and work in a child care facility. While this career is enough for some, the money isn't great and the potential to advance is pretty non-existent without further education.

With a bachelors degree you have virtually unlimited options to continue working with children. You can go into social work and work with children in the courts system, you can manage a day-care facility, you can run a summer camp, you can become a teacher, manage a non-profit organization. You have virtually unlimited options and the pay grade is much better.

One career track we have at my university is that of a Child Life Specialist. If you have never heard of it, you are working with terminally ill children in the hospital. You keep the children in high spirits by playing games and keeping them entertained in the hospital and also explaining medical procedures to them and their families. Essentially you are the go-between for doctors and the families. It takes a special kind of person to be able to handle the stress that comes with this work, but is very satisfying to those in the field.

With further education you can become a child counselor or therapist, even a doctor.

So to narrow your search, I would recommend taking a look at the amount of school you want to pursue. As a rule of thumb, the more education you receive, the more options you will have and the more money you can make.

Answered 8 years ago

Andy Davis