Want free career or academic advice
from a professional?

Have an Answer?

1 Answer


Christopher Gurrie

It depends on your field of the master's degree. Many fields like Spanish, Communication, and Math need teaching assistants. I learned this before attending my large state institution and was able to apply for a teaching assistantship that covered the cost of my education. Also, at some large institutions if you are a Resident Assistant you could partially pay for school--even as a master's school. Purdue University in Indiana did this. FSU was who gave me my assistantship.

The places where funding gets difficult are in the professions like law, MBA, and other master's doctoral level degrees. Those fields are usually taught by experienced terminally degreed folks and teaching assistants are not widely used.

Answered 6 years ago

Christopher Gurrie