Want free career or academic advice
from a professional?

Have an Answer?

1 Answer


Melissa Clarke

Most insurance fraud investigators (the unit is generally called SIU - Special Investigations Unit) have prior law enforcement or investigative backgrounds. They are not typically hired right out of college, even with a Criminal Justice degree. If this is a field you truly want to enter into, I'd suggest you enter law enforcement (or military as an MP or other type of investigator) first. Or if you don't want to enter law enforcement or the military, get a job in claims (as an adjuster) and try to be as diverse as possible in the types of claims that you handle, i.e. property, auto, worker's comp. You will have to obtain a license to be an insurance adjuster in most states, but if you are hired on with a company at an entry-level position, many times they will pay for the licensing. If not, many community colleges offer a course for a few hundred dollars. Once you gain insurance industry and claims experience, you can gain fraud investigating expertise by getting specialized training in that field with various designations such as FCLA (Fraud Claims Law Associate) or CFE (Certified Fraud Examiner) amongst others. This can be a long, years long, process to becoming an insurance investigator, however it is necessary to understand how to investigate, claims and the insurance industry in general. It is not something you can learn in a 2 or 4 year college program. It is a noble & worthy career field as insurance fraud affects everyone indirectly by increasing premium dollars. Good luck!

Answered 7 years ago

Melissa Clarke