I am currently a pre-medical student in their junior year. I am very curious as to what swayed you towards internal medicine?
Have an Answer?
I did not choose internal medicine. Let me tell you the pros and cons.
- General doctor for non-pregnant adults (majority of people), hence you know a the basics of all disease and all fields.
- All specialist go through you, as a generalist you are kinda like the manager for the patient.
-You can work inpatient (hospital) and outpatient (clinic)
- High demand
- Flexible schedule
-Lots of subspecialties you can apply to after residency (GI, Rheum, Pulm, etc)
- Not as competitive to get into compared to other residencies
-Three year residency compared to the usual four.
-Heavy work load in hospital
- You need to know a little bit about everything -- medicine is very broad. Constantly reading on various subjects, constantly studying. No true specialty.
- Pay is low compared to your colleagues who specialized
- The field is aggressive by culture, not as aggressive compared to General Surgery but is up there.
- Low knowledge on pediatrics and OB/GYN.