Want free career or academic advice
from a professional?

Have an Answer?

1 Answer


Frederick Pence

What is it that you wish to do? If you're looking for something in research or a clinical position, you will need a higher level degree. If you want to do therapy as a licensed professional, you have two routes. You can obtain an MSW (Master of Social Work), an Mental Health Counseling degree, or something which qualifies you for licensure with a Master's degree. The second route is to obtain a Masters in Psychology followed by a Ph. D in Psychology.

Though it may seem counter intuitive, a Masters in Psychology will not allow you to be a licensed therapist. That is the domain of the degrees I mentioned before. If you're interested in research, the Master of Psychology degree and/or Ph. D will be a better bet for you. You can do your own research as well, but this is the consensus among professionals.

Answered 9 years ago

Frederick Pence