I have a passion for the Texas Rangers baseball team. It's my goal to get a job working for them. I saw that they have job openings for a sales position, and that is right up my alley. I am about to finish up classes for my associates degree. What should be my next step to ensure that I have the right the skills to possibly get a job in sales?
Have an Answer?
To sell, you are going to need self-confidence, drive, and the know-how.
Here are some books I recommend you purchase and begin reading:
1) Spin Selling by Neil Rackham
2) Never Eat Alone: And Other Secrets to Success, One Relationship at a Time by Keith Ferrazzi, Tahl Raz
3) The Ultimate Sales Machine: Turbocharge Your Business with Relentless Focus on 12 Key Strategies by Chet Holmes, Jay Conrad Levinson, Michael Gerber
4) Fierce Conversations: Achieving Success at Work and in Life One Conversation at a Time by Susan Scott
5) Zero Resistance Selling by Maxwell Maltz
To paraphrase a favorite Jim Rohn quote of mine -- formal education will earn you a salary; self-education will earn you a fortune.
If you haven't already, it would be a good idea to take an advertising class.
The sales jobs for professional sports teams usually fall into 2 categories 1) tickets(corporate season / suite rentals) 2) sponsorships (selling companies space to advertise--in the ball park, during games, in programs etc.
Also important to be proficient in social media and marketing. Sports organizations live by social media.
I recommend setting your sites on a bachelors degree. It will enable you to advance either in the Rangers organization or any company that you end up with.
If you cannot get into the Rangers immediately, try a related business--Mavericks, Cowboys, Stars. Don't discount the Frisco Roughriders. It's all about getting a foot in the door, any door, for experience and keep your sites set on your ultimate goal.
Best of luck.
Start selling something
http://adf.ly/ZtXrM to learn online social media marketing and sales. as well as the thought process.